|200 g stale bread|
|150 g diced Speck delle alpi|
|1,5 lt milk|
|50 g butter|
|1 tablespoon flour|
“Canederli” is a traditional dish of Alto Adige (Italian Alps), although known and appreciated throughout Italy. It consists of big dumplings made with leftover bread. It is a typical dish of central Europe peasant tradition, which is still prepared with few simple ingredients: bread, cheese and/or speck. You can serve it in broth or with a knob of butter and a bit of grated cheese.
- Put the pieces of stale bread in a large bowl and soften them with some milk. When completely soft, wring out excess milk.
- Add the diced speck and then some salt, a knob of butter, parsley and the chopped onion. To add some flavour, season with some nutmeg as well.
- Mix with two egg yolks and stir thoroughly adding some flour if necessary.
- Cover and leave to rest for 20 minutes approx.
- Forms little balls (approx. the size of a golf ball) from the mixture and boil them in salted hot water for 15 minutes approx, until they float to the top.
- Garnish with a parsley leaf. Serve hot.